Saturday, September 5, 2009

The rain has come at last...

There is a switch at the beginning of autumn each year. For a bit of time now it's been coming. I haven't said anything about it yet...sometimes if you speak of these things too quickly they slip away like fairies into the mist. The air has changed. Oh not all of the air, but the edges of it...there's a crispness that slides in at morning, and creeps back in around twilight. There have been other signs too...the spiders are out in full force, one large one specifically has been lost in our home for a bit...Heather however took care of him...poor spider! Leave are beginning to change. There is at least one leaf on every tree I've seen that has started-overachievers! This morning I got up at 6:00 for various reasons and it was still dark...one of my least favorite things about this season, but a sign nonetheless. Last week I was sitting on the porch reading and I heard the sound that is the culmination of the season...the geese. They're beginning to disappear to their winter homes. And now, it's as if the weather is reminding us all of what is coming. The intense rain came and with it a chill that is hanging in the air permanently now. The sun tries to pick at it a bit, but it's too late, autumn is here! With it comes all of my favorite things. But that's for a later date, my ode to Autumn!

So to mark this fabulous occurance I have done the following: purchased pussy willows that are now adorning the dining room reminding me of the softness of fall, made a fall color bouquet...and right this very minute I am eating homemade zucchini bread with homemade raspberry jam on top- drinking hot water with lemon- and watching something that warms my heart...Anne of Green Gables. Oh Anne with an e, how you can cure anything that is wrong in the world. Isn't Matthew just the most wonderful man? I truly hope to meet L.M. Montgomery in heaven someday. She and CS Lewis (and of course my father) are single handedly responsible for my imagination. I have already adopted Mr. Lewis as my grandfather...perhaps Ms. Montgomery can be my surregate grandmother...anyone who can write about the outdoors, fairies, human nature and the nature of relationships as beautifully as she does would be a kindred spirit for certain. Whether in "the depths of despair" or "at the heights" Anne has something for everyone. Oh to ask Miss Stacy a question, to wander around the "white way to light" and to frolic around good old PEI. Too bad I can only travel their in my imagination...

I am also finally starting to work on my t-shirt rug. The shirts have been sitting upstairs in the loft forever...and I'm purging everything, it's making me feel better about everything for some reason, plus I've committed to finishing my projects this sabbatical. I am not working on completeing the rag rug from Alterknits. Leigh Radford is a genius and remarkably dwells in Portland...the mecca for all I've decided. Sorry Tyler, but Portland is clearly superior...minus the ocean I do miss my ocean. This is what it should look like when I'm done...same color scheme as well...we'll see! Although yay for Heather and I not fitting into our old clothes, that's how I got all the fabric!

No comments: