Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter...


The culmination of the Christian faith. Without the resurrection there is no Christianity. There is just a presumed savior that died on the cross just like all the other radicals, or criminals in Rome at that time. We know Jesus lived. Historically there is much to prove to that Jesus lived, and his living is important...but it's that whole raising from the dead thing that is so pivotal for our faith...yet as my pastor said today, and I thought it was so well put...we've heard the "punch line" so much that we don't seem to care anymore.

This guy read this poem before church even started today and it was all about how we should be dancing in the streets, and instead of wondering what to wear this morning we should have been dancing and singing and rejoicing...He is risen! Does it get any better than that? Is there anything sweeter than death conquered by our savior?

While I was listening to Rick this morning and trying to figure out where I lost the "magic" of it all, the wonder, etc. and I remembered a story told to me over and over to my parents. I was trying to decide if it's something I truly remember or if it's just the story pieces that have stuck in my mind. There used to be (and may still be) this garden in BC...I can't remember where but I think we went under a concrete tunnel thing and held our breaths (because that's what you do in tunnels!) to get there. Anyway in this garden were statues. And as my parents have an obsessions with gardens...VanDuzen gardens for LONG periods of time growing up...we used to go there a lot. The statues were of lots of things I think, but there were some depicting Jesus' life. There was an empty tomb on this little walk and I, as the story goes, was fascinated by this. I feel like I remember the sheer wonder and excitement of it being empty. I feel like I remember running in and out of it and being so excited that nothing was there, that he didn't die after all, it wasn't true, he was alive...and I was humbled for a moment. Where did that go? I want to be excited again, to feel wonder and amazement at this miracle. Who else has conquered death? In all world views there is death...and it's final. You don't come back alive from death, yes some people believe in reincarnation or life somwhere else...but it's not the same. Jesus ROSE FROM THE DEAD! Seriously. I can't even imagine what that would have looked like in the garden when people found out, or when he appeared to those people who loved him so dearly and were his closest friends and disciples on earth. How incredible...and some of the wonder is seeping back in because of my imagination but I want my heart to feel it.

http://www.imagodeicommunity.com/information/sermons/christ-is-risen-indeed/

So much to process and think about...and I wish I could remember the gardens name!

No comments: