Thursday, April 9, 2009

New friends...farm units...and no voice!

"I'm working with a not very well trained banker!"
- said Griffin as we were working on our new farm unit. You have to pay for the land and the different things you put on your farm, and I was the banker, as was my student teacher. Griffin felt that the student teacher wasn't making enough effort in this endeavor.

But this has been the coolest math unit. I have kids saying..."Yes it's math!" Now really, what teacher doesn't want to hear that?? And guess what they're doing? Counting by 5,'s 10's and 1's, using spatial reasoning to figure out where to put things, multiplying as they figure out how things cost, budgeting because they only have so much money...all in one unit, not to mention the geometry, map skills and such that they're using and reinforcing...have I mentioned that I love Bridges??

My job is wonderful, even when I'm tired and it's long and hard I love it! Today they did an awesome job of purchasing all of their farm and equipment and paying for it, I was so impressed! There were whispers of "5, 10, 15, 20, 25, " and "10, 20, 30, 40" and "15, 20, 21, 22, 23" and my favorite "No not like that, let me show you!"

I'll have to post a picture of their farms soon! :)

1 comment:

Ridgely said...

You get my vote as "teacher of the year! Love you tons, Mom