Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Magical Twilight!


There is something so enchanting about winter's twilight. As much as I love fall, these wintry colors as the sun sets make my eyes wide with wonder and my imagination soar. I find myself drawn to just staring at the colors and the way that the air looks, feels and smells. It's magical. I think when they talk about the fairy time in books, it's the winter twilight time that they mean.

This weekend I was at Twin Rocks and Saturday we went onto the beach for sunset...of course we had just missed it, but as we approached the water it was most remarkable. The tide was out, and the colors of the sunset were hanging there in the air...but because of the receding tide those light and shinning colors were reflected all over the wet sand, and in the ocean itself. It was
so shiny, I wish there was a better word to use, but it was like the light was reflecting off of everything, not in a sparkely way, but just pure shiny light. I imagine it looks like a fragmant of the majesty of the Lord. It was exactly like Grandfather's Twilight, a book that was my favorite as a child...(and the second time I was reminded of it that weekend, Friday night the moon looked exactly like that pearl that grew and grew and grew in Grandfather Twilight's hand), the colors blended together: sky, ocean, wet sand, and created this palate of sheer twilight. I could only stand there in awe and stare. I couldn't pull my eyes away and I ended up gazing out until it was too dark to see the colors anymore. Before the light disappeared the waves crashed in the ocean along the shore, but because of the light all you could see was the foam from the cresting waves leaping against the colors every once in awhile. It was truly one of the most miraculous sights I have ever seen and I was once again humbled by the vastness of the ocean and the majesty of the Lord.

Graciously a friend of mine realized my moment and snaped a quick picture...it doesn't do the colors justice, but a piece of the magic is contained in the picture...at least for me.

1 comment:

Ridgely said...

Perfect, beautiful description. I couldn't have said it better myself!

I have always imagined that the water "gives back" the light at the end of the day -- in much the same way I hope to "give back" the light that the Lord shines on me!

I hope I can read blogs in heaven! :)