Thursday, November 13, 2008

Things That Intrigue Me and Draw Me In


Have you ever really truly looked at book titles? They are simply remarkable, and I always am floored and stop to think about the fact that someone or a group of someones sat and agonized for hours, days, weeks, months eve, over the perfect title for a book. A title is like an epitaph, it's supposed to magically encompass the content, and feel of the book in less than 10 words (usually!). Which is what we ask people to do on tombstones too...both seeming ridiculous to me. Sum up your best friend, or family member in 20 words or less go! It's the same thing with books...yet there are some that just draw you in...and the greatest thing to me is that what draws me in, doesn't necessarily draw another person in.
The Elegance of the Hedgehog
Holding up the Sky
Hot, Flat, and Crowded
Alphabet Juice
The River Home (so much potential)
The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao
Indignation
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
(just a few titles that have intrigued me as of late)

And books, much like people are immediately intriguing, or they are not that intrguing, but then you hear about the book, and someone tells you what it is about, or that you need to read it, and suddenly that seemingly mundane title now is exciting to you.
And then there's my favorite...the title that as soon as you hear it draws up thoughts, feelings, memories, just with the words of the book's name:
Anne of Green Gables (Anne in general)*
Narnia :)*

The Miraculous Adventures of Edward Tulane

Harry Potter

A New Coat For Anna*
The Polar Express*

The Hobbit*

The Brother's Grimm Fairy Tales*

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle*

Johhny Tremain

The Outsiders (Thank you Mrs. Belka)

Pride and Prejudice
Crime and Punnishment (Thank you Mr. Dolmatz)
The Witch of Blackbird Pond (Thank you Mrs. Snell)
The Secret Garden*

Just like good friends these titles conjure up a picture of something unique and special. Ah, for the love of books! :) (*Thanks Mom and Dad for introducing me to these treasures)

2 comments:

Ridgely said...

You're welcome! I LOVE it that you are as addicted to books as I am!

Oh, and you should buy me the hedgehog book for Christmas, don't you think!!!!

Ridgely said...

Oh, and if I saw a book with the title THE LISTENING TREE, I'd pick it right up and buy it...so get busy! :)